mymomtoldmenottoblog: I really hate politics...






Monday, April 23, 2007

I really hate politics...

yet... I can't shut up.

An open letter to the party in power right at the moment...
*hey they said in great bold letters
CONTACT US!

Please take a moment when reviewing your health initiatives and realize this brual statistic. Close to one full third of women in Canada are being told that they can not give birth and must subject themselves to surgery in order to deliver their baby. The world health organization indicates that this should fall under 15%. The increase in maternal/fetal complications for surgical birth is undisputed in the medical community. This then has a massive impact on the system for the care of both the mother and infant, the costs are amazing. I will defer the ramifications of the post partum period when a whole host of other issues also impact the new family and medical system. Now take a moment and look at first world/industrialized countries who have midwifery as a primary care for mothers... YOU COULD SAVE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! As well as saving thousands of women trapped in the system that is all about how dangerous birth is. Many who are seeking midwifery as a viable option, but can not access this crucial service.The report your Honorable Ms. Oswald has been shelving forever. You know the one, take a look. We need to have more midwives. We need to have a training program here, where women wouldn't have to leave their families and support systems to train. It will be too late for me to do it. I have wanted to be a midwife since I was a child and our friend would come for dinner and regale me with homebirth stories..
Please don't let women in this Province down.

I know that it really doesn't matter that our cesarean rate is high.
I know it doesn't matter that all women seeking care can't access midwifery during their pregnancies.
I know it doesn't matter that the midwives we have are burning out and are under incredible stress.
I know it doesn't matter if we have no where to train new midwives.
I know it doesn't matter that this impacts women more than men.
I know that what matters is the amount of votes an issue gets.

As frustrated as I am with the Honorable Ms. Oswalds office... I've lived in Alberta... I will not vote PC.
I wish I could vote for the NDP with the knowledge that my vote meant something. I hope that after reading this... it might.
Please don't let us down.

mm
mother to three
primary cesarean son
second son born at home with competent and superior care of Registered Midwives.
a daughter born at home with the superior care midwives again.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I know here in Ontario, each vote equals $1 to that political party, so now I never feel like I've wasted a vote when I vote for a party with no hope of getting in, because I've helped them grow for next time. Does it work similarly in your Western province?

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter