Surreal afternoon...
Very surreal.
The memorial service for wee babe was supposed to be last week, but the dad was only going to arrive on Friday. So it was rescheduled for today.
It was a very small affair. Grandparents, sibling, the OB who delivered babe, minister, myself. And of course the mom and dad. I was fine until the father came over and at his towering 6'4" leaned over and hugged me, started to cry and thanked me for being there to welcome his babe in to the world.
Among the mementos they kept of babe... the diaper from the hospital. Grandma hand embroidered babes name and such on it.
Didn't think I'd ever feel more at a loss than I did with my friend R's request for a baby diaper...
wrong.
Every day I take some photos and document the day for the husband, who is at camp.
As I looked at this one, for that brief moment on the camera...
I realized, I am incredibly lucky.
Trying to figure out rain drops... I added a few more with my tears tonight.
Nothing I can say, nothing I can do to make it any easier for this family, or R. I can only hope that being part of their journey is enough...

The memorial service for wee babe was supposed to be last week, but the dad was only going to arrive on Friday. So it was rescheduled for today.
It was a very small affair. Grandparents, sibling, the OB who delivered babe, minister, myself. And of course the mom and dad. I was fine until the father came over and at his towering 6'4" leaned over and hugged me, started to cry and thanked me for being there to welcome his babe in to the world.
Among the mementos they kept of babe... the diaper from the hospital. Grandma hand embroidered babes name and such on it.
Didn't think I'd ever feel more at a loss than I did with my friend R's request for a baby diaper...
wrong.
Every day I take some photos and document the day for the husband, who is at camp.
As I looked at this one, for that brief moment on the camera...
I realized, I am incredibly lucky.
Trying to figure out rain drops... I added a few more with my tears tonight.
Nothing I can say, nothing I can do to make it any easier for this family, or R. I can only hope that being part of their journey is enough...

Labels: birth, doula-ing..., I'm sad


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home