mymomtoldmenottoblog: Thinking of Sue...






Saturday, July 08, 2006

Thinking of Sue...

I met a neat nursing student in one of my religion courses at university, a lifetime ago. We've kept in touch on and off... She finished her degree, I didn't. She went off to Africa, I went and got married.
She ended up marrying a South African Doctor she worked with, I've seen pictures of the wedding. Them with a background of the "Waald" at sunset ... so beautiful. Then when they were expecting their first child, she didn't make it to the city hospital, neither did she make it to the camp hospital. A few women attended her precipitous birth of a daughter. I joked with her about being a midwifery client after all!
They recently changed regions, countries actually. Moving to one of the most desperate areas of Africa at the moment. I was concerned when she told me. As well as slightly depressed that I'm not doing anything to change the world... how is that for wonky thoughts?
The last e-mail I got from her was that they were moving back to Canada for a bit... it has been too much for them in the last few months. As well as the area they were in was feeling too dangerous for them, as parents of a little girl.....

They left the camp last week. They did not make it to the checkpoint, or someone forgot to log them through.
They are missing.
I hope they are okay.
I feel for her parents, who are distressed beyond words. They are hoping to find someone to help look after their farm (emu's) and maybe go to his parents...
They feel they need to be closer.
I wonder how I would deal with it if it was my child?
Feeling at odds, between filling and hauling boxes I dread the worst.
Hoping for the best. Because having to move, is nothing compared to what is going on in their families' lives. Stopped feeling sorry for myself and this crappy situation of house moving.. there are much more important things going on in my little world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter